Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Maya Angelou

Hi friends, I have received this many times since last year but do not want to break the elastic because I believe it is worth re-reading.

Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday. Born Marguerite Ann Johnson, April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, she is an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969) which was nominated for a National Book Award and called her magnum opus.

Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occurring every day...like her breasts. They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first. The audience laughed so hard they cried. She is such a simple and honest woman, with so much wisdom in her words! Maya Angelou said this:

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas lights."

"I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life."

"I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making a life."

"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."

"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."

"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."

"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."

"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."


*****************************************

**THIS WEEK MAY THE BEAUTY OF LIFE SURROUND YOU AND BRING YOU JOY ****

****************************************

3 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

Those are amazing quotes! Loved them!

imelda said...

Sis i am realy sorry to have not added u in my blogroll. I have added u already in my two blogs. Sis, i might visit malaysia this juky 21-26, i hope our training location is near (i dont the venue yet)you so we can chat chat in person. Please add my blogs here,

http://www.mymoods.net

http://wwwmissbodybeautiful-firstlady.blogspot.com

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Interesting quotes. Happy weekend.

Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory